The Dutchess County Historical Society hosts one of the county's most historic homes, the Clinton House. This 18th century landmark is located in the county seat of Poughkeepsie and operated by the Historical Society.
For additional information or an appointment, please call 845.471.1630
Clinton House, 549 Main Street, Poughkeepsie
Built circa 1765 for Hugh Van Kleeck, the Clinton House is now a state-owned historic resource named to honor George Clinton, the first governor of New York State and former Vice-President of the United States. Although Clinton did not reside here, the house was likely used as a meeting place for New York State legislators during the period when Poughkeepsie was the capital of New York State.
The house is now home to the Historical Society's offices, library and collections and provides quarters for the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Open Tues., Wed. and Thurs., 10am-3 pm.